Counseling FAQ

What should I bring to my counseling appointment?
Please bring any transcripts from other colleges (unofficial is fine), as well as any other pertinent documents, like AP scores or assessment scores, from other schools. If you've recently graduated from high school, you may also bring your high school transcripts, though this is optional.

How do I make an appointment to see a counselor?
Chat with us now or book an appointment online on Cranium Cafe. If you need assistance with making an appointment, please email and include your name, days/time you are available, and indicate if you'd like a phone, video, or in-person appointment.

Are evening appointments available?
Yes. Monday through Thursdays, we are open 8am-6pm. The last appointment time available is at 5:30 p.m.

Can I meet with a counselor without an appointment?
During registration periods, counselors are available on a first-come, first served, walk-in basis. No appointments are necessary or available during these times. Please contact our office for drop in times.

Can I just email a counselor directly?
Yes. You can email a counselor directly at

What types of counseling are available?
We offer general academic counseling, transfer planning, career counseling, and personal counseling for problems that are interfering with your success in college. We do not offer psychotherapy or ongoing counseling for psychological issues.

Am I assigned to a particular counselor?
Generally, students are not assigned specific counselors, but you are welcome to request a specific counselor by appointment. Also, students enrolled in special support programs at the college will be directed to designated counselors.

Can I get counseling for personal problems?
Yes, however if your problems are of an ongoing nature, you will be referred to outside agencies o

Am I required to attend an orientation or take an assessment in order to enroll in classes?
If you are new to LTCC, pursuing an associate degree, certificate, or transfer and have fewer than 30 semester or 45 quarter units completed at another college, you are required to complete an orientation. You can complete an online orientation at or visit our orientation page to sign up for a face to face orientation at the LTCC campus.


Assessment tests are no longer required for students. LTCC uses multiple measures, including high school grade point average, coursework, and specific grades for placement into Math and English. Meet with a counselor and bring copies of your academic records and a counselor will help you determine an appropriate place to start in math and English.


Do you accept assessment scores or transcripts from other schools?
Yes, if you have taken the prerequisite for a class at another school or have an assessment score, a counselor can clear your prerequisite.

What is the difference between an Associate's degree and a Bachelors degree?
The highest degree which can be earned at Lake Tahoe Community College (and other community colleges) is the Associate degree. It is a total of 90 quarter or 60 semester units. To earn a bachelor's degree, students must transfer to a 4 year college or university. Students may complete approximately the first half of a bachelor's degree at a community college.

What is a certificate?
A certificate is a short term educational program intended to give students the skills needed for employment. Certificates do not have general education requirements. Please see the Majors and Certificates page for certificates currently offered at LTCC.

What is General Education (GE)?
All college degrees have general education (GE) requirements. These are courses such as English, math, science, social science, arts, and humanities. At LTCC, we use three different GE patterns, depending on your goals. Students should meet with a counselor to ensure they are following the correct GE pattern.

What is a major? What majors are offered at LTCC?
A major is an area of specialization within a degree. Please see the Majors and Certificates page for certificates currently offered at LTCC.

Will classes I took many years ago count toward my degree?
Most general education courses taken at regionally accredited schools will count toward a degree, regardless of when they were taken. Courses within majors may not count if the material is outdated.

How long will it take to achieve my goal at LTCC?
It depends on how many units per quarter you take and whether you are starting at pre-college level math and/or English. You should meet with a counselor to set up an Educational Plan which will give you a better idea of how long it will take to achieve your goal. The majority of students take between two to three years to complete their Associate's degree.

How many units does it take for an AA degree?
It takes 90 quarter units to earn an AA degree. The ninety units consist of specific requirements and electives.

Can I use courses from other colleges and universities toward my degree requirements?
Yes, if the other institutions are regionally accredited and if the specific courses are required for the degree at LTCC. You should meet with a counselor to request an official credit evaluation of college credits.

If I get an AA degree, can I automatically transfer to a 4 year university?
To be eligible for transfer, you must complete specific requirements for transfer. The AA degree alone is not necessarily sufficient. If you plan to transfer, you should meet regularly with a counselor to ensure you are completing transfer requirements.

Do I have to get an AA degree in order to transfer?
No. However, for some majors, an AA degree may be earned without taking additional classes.

Can I just take my general education requirements at LTCC, and then take my major courses after I transfer?
That is usually a bad idea. Many majors have lower division major preparation or prerequisites that should be completed at a community college prior to transfer. The more impacted the university and/or major, the more critical it is to complete the major prerequisites.

Aside from the general education requirements for transfer, how do I know if I have met the requirements for my major?
ASSIST provides current articulation agreements for majors between LTCC and most public universities in California. Additional information and assistance is available by meeting with a counselor and students are strongly encouraged to do so. Where can I see more information about transfer? Please visit the LTCC Transfer home page for more questions and answers: Additional information about transfer can be found at CSU Mentor and UC Transfer Information.

When can I register for classes?
Check the class schedule every quarter for the priority registration dates. The schedule is available online.

When must I pay for the classes I register for?
Classes must be paid for by the close of business the day that you register. Students applying for financial aid can contact the Financial Aid Office at (530) 541-4660 x 236.

How do I drop a class?
You may drop a class either online or in person up until the Friday of the fourth week of classes. Between the fourth week and the seventh week, you must come to One Stop to withdraw from a class. After the seventh week, you may no longer drop a class. See the Academic Calendar for important dates and deadlines.

If I don't attend class, will the instructor automatically drop me?
Not necessarily. An instructor may or may not drop you. You must take personal responsibility to drop a class or you may receive a failing grade.

What if the class I want to take is full?
If a course is full, add yourself to the waitlist. If a seat opens, the first person on the waitlist will be notified through his or her LTCC email account. Check your LTCC email often for notifications. You may also attend the class the first class session with a pink 'late add' form, available at Admissions, and ask the instructor if they will add you. It is up to the instructor's discretion to add students after a class begins.

How many units is considered "full time?"
12 or more units is full time.

What is the maximum number of units I can take per quarter?
You may enroll in 19 units per quarter. If you wish to enroll in more than 19 units, you must meet with a counselor for approval.

What is a prerequisite?
A prerequisite is a condition of enrollment that a student is required to meet in order to demonstrate current readiness for a course or education program. Students who have completed prerequisites at another college must meet with a counselor to show proof in order to register. Prerequisites completed at LTCC with a "C" or better will be automatically approved when the student registers for the course.

What is a corequisite?
A corequisite is a course in which a student is required to enroll AT THE SAME TIME that he or she is enrolled in another course. (Alternatively, it may be completed before enrollment in the course for which it is a corequisite.)

Is there a way to take a course if I don't have the prerequisite?
You may appeal a prerequisite by meeting with a counselor and filling out a prerequisite appeal petition. The appeal may then be approved or denied by the instructor.

What if I took the prerequisite course at another school?
You must meet with a counselor and provide an unofficial or official transcript to show successful completion of the prerequisite.


What is Pass/No Pass (P/NP)?
You may elect to take a class for a grade of Pass/No Pass (P/NP), if the course is available for that grading option. Grades of P/NP do not affect the grade point average (GPA). A limited number of P/NP courses may be applied to a degree. Please refer to the catalog or meet with a counselor to make sure the P/NP option is appropriate for you.

Do I have to repeat a D or F grade?
You have the option to repeat a D or F grade. The new grade will replace the old grade in your GPA. You are not required to repeat the class unless  the class is required for your major. Example: ENG101 is required for all AA degrees and for transfer. There is a limit on repeatability of three times total for any one course.

Is "D" considered a passing grade?
A "D" in English or math is not degree-applicable, nor is it sufficient to advance to the next level. A "D" is acceptable in some courses as long as the overall GPA is 2.0.

What is academic probation?
A student is placed on academic probation once the student has attempted at least 12 quarter units with a cumulative grade point average (GPA) below 2.0. Students on academic probation who wish to enroll in more than 3 units must meet with a counselor before registering for classes. (See probation policy in the catalog).

What is academic dismissal?
A student who is on academic probation shall be subject to dismissal if the student has completed 30 units with a cumulative GPA of less than 2.0 in each of three consecutive quarters. Students who are subject to dismissal must meet with a counselor to develop a Success Contract. (See dismissal policy in the catalog).

What is an Education Plan and do I need one?
An Educational Plan is like a personal road map that you develop with your counselor. The "map" lays out the courses you should complete quarter by quarter in order to successfully reach your educational goal. You should schedule a counseling appointment to develop an education plan. An Educational Plan is required for all students with a degree goal or goal of transfer.

I need help in choosing a major or career. What kind of help is available?
Students uncertain about their major or career goal can receive career counseling services by calling 530-541-4660 x 211 for an appointment. Various resources are available to help students choose majors and careers which align with their interests, values, abilities and personality types. Please visit the Career Center online for more information.