TRiO Upward Bound
The TRiO Upward Bound program supports current high school students and their families to help prepare them for success in college. This federal program provides the fundamental support needed to help students gain the confidence they need and the organization and planning required to smoothly transition to college and university education. The program is designed to serve U.S. citizen-students whose parents did not graduate from a four-year college or university, low-income students, and academically disadvantaged students.
The goal of LTCC's Upward Bound program is to increase the number of local high school graduates, assist them with completing their secondary education, and to help them build the skills and confidence to go on and enroll in and graduate from postsecondary educational institutions.
Upward Bound provides students with tutoring, counseling, mentoring, cultural enrichment activities, work-study programs, and above-and-beyond education and counseling services that improves the financial and economic literacy skills of students. Extra support is provided for those with limited English proficiency, and who come from traditionally underrepresented groups in postsecondary education. Additional support is also provided for students who have disabilities, who are or were homeless, students who are in foster care or who are aging out of the foster care system, and other disconnected students who critically need additional support to succeed and continue on in their educational journeys.
Students must be committed to reaching the following goals in order to be admitted into and participate in Upward Bound:
- Complete the current academic year and continue in school for the next academic year at the next grade level
- Complete a rigorous high school program of study (completing A-G requirements)
- Graduate with a regular high school diploma
- Enroll in a college by the fall term immediately following high school graduation
- Obtain a college degree
Upward Bound participants receive the following FREE services:
- Tutoring 4 days/week Academic, financial, and career guidance
- Career exploration and planning support
- Step-by-step assistance in completing college admissions and financial aid applications
- Workshops to develop skills for success
- Trips to four-year schools
- Trips to cultural events
- Assistance in preparing for college entrance exams
- Workshops for parents to provide college preparation information and support
- Saturday and Summer Instruction in core curriculum courses