Veterans Services

American Flags
Lake Tahoe Community College is approved for certification of students eligible to receive educational assistance from the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA). Students eligible to receive DVA benefits must be enrolled in a program leading to a certificate, Associate of Arts degree, or classes appropriate for transfer.


Getting Started


Taking part in a new student orientation is your chance to get to know Lake Tahoe Community College and to learn about the information, resources, and tools you need to be successful.

We offer an Online Orientation for students.

Orientation is REQUIRED if you intend to work toward one or more of the following:
     • Certificate
     • Associate Degree
     • Transfer program to earn a Bachelor's degree
     • You are currently undecided on your educational goal, but are considering one of the goals above
Orientation is NOT REQUIRED if:
     • You have already completed an Associate degree or higher
     • You are taking courses for personal interests, to upgrade/enhance job skills, to maintain a certificate or license, or to complete credits for high school

Note: Students who qualify as exempt should contact LTCC's Counseling Office.

• Register for financial aid using the FAFSA form

• Schedule a meeting with a counselor at Student Services or on Cranium Cafe

For information regarding your eligibility to receive VA benefits, contact the DVA at 1 (888) 442-4551. Detailed information regarding VA can also be obtained at the following website:


If you have never received educational benefits before, please complete these steps:

• Complete an LTCC admission application online using CCCApply.
• Complete an "Application for VA Education Benefits" (form 22-1990).
• Complete VA form 22-5490 if you are an eligible dependent of a veteran who was permanently and/or totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or who died while on active duty.
• Provide your DD-214, Member 4 copy of your discharge papers.
• Send official transcripts of all previous educational work to LTCC's Student Services Office.
• If you are a Reservist, please present a copy of your DD-2304 "Notice of Basic Eligibility" (NOBE).
• LTCC recommends that veterans file the "Free Application for Student Aid" (FAFSA). For more information, please visit LTCC's financial aid page.

If you are transferring benefits from another college or university, please complete these steps:

• Complete VA Form 22-1995 "Change of program or Place of Training."
• For students receiving Survivor/Dependent benefits, complete VA form 22-5495.
• LTCC recommends that veterans file the "Free Application for Student Aid" (FAFSA). For more information, please visit the financial aid page.

If you are currently or have previously received benefits at LTCC, please complete these steps:

• Speak with the LTCC Veterans Certifying Official to update any changes in address, direct deposit information, program change, or general questions you may have about your VA file.
• Additional inquiries may be directed through the VA website or by calling the VA directly at 1- 888-442-4551.

Veterans who have an honorable discharge (as certified on their DD214) will receive quarter unit equivalent credit in the following areas:

• Veterans will be granted four quarter units of credit to count in Area 6 of the LTCC-GE pattern, or four units of degree-applicable elective credit.

• Veterans who plan to graduate LTCC using the CSU-GE pattern, and veterans who plan to complete CSU-GE for transfer, will be granted four quarter units of credit in Area E of the CSU GE pattern. 


Priority Registration

Did you leave active duty in the past two years? You may be eligible to enroll on the first day of priority registration for the next quarter!

Bring your DD-214 or other documentation showing the date you left active duty to the Student Services Office to qualify. (Students who are currently on active duty may also qualify for priority registration.)

If you have any questions, please contact LTCC's Student Services Office (530) 541-4660 x 211 or email 


El Dorado County has been awarded rental assistance vouchers specifically to help qualified homeless veterans. If you are experiencing homelessness in El Dorado County, call (530) 600-2822 to request an entry intake form and to learn about eligibility requirements for these vouchers.

Mental Health

Veterans can find reliable information on how to cope with challenges such as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), traumatic brain injury, military sexual trauma, and transitioning from service by visiting

Veterans can also inquire about readjustment therapy by calling the Reno Vet Center at (775) 323-1294.

All registered LTCC students have access to TimelyCare services for free! Students can access TimelyCare either by download the app (Android or Apple) or by logging into the TimelyCare website.