Requirements for Assessment Exams have changed. As of Fall 2019, assessment testing is no longer required for students to be placed into English and Math courses.*
The passage of Assembly Bill 705 (AB 705) by the state of California created a unique and exciting opportunity for incoming community college students. The intent of AB 705 is to maximize the probability that students will enter and complete transfer-level coursework in math and English in a one-year timeframe. As of Fall 2019, students are eligible to enroll directly into transfer-level math or English classes, or into transfer-level math or English courses with additional support.
Students enrolling at Lake Tahoe Community College are not required to take an assessment test in order to be placed into a Math or English course. Instead, students are placed on a Math or English pathway based on multiple measures of student success. Specifically, information about the classes a student has taken in high school, the grades received in those classes, and a student’s overall high school GPA are the primary criteria used to determine a student’s likelihood of success in transfer-level math and English course work.
Based on these criteria, students with a lower likelihood of success are given recommendations for additional support programs and supplemental courses that they can take to improve their chances of completing their transfer-level coursework on time.
Are you planning to register for English or Math classes?
- Please make an appointment to talk with a counselor to confirm which course is best for you.
- Changes in English and Math requirements are happening (see the video) that may give you NEW OPTIONS.
- Even if you already have a plan, please contact Counseling in the One-Stop Office to make sure you are on the right path for you!
- Come to the One-Stop Office, first floor in the Main Building, Commons area
- Call for an appointment: (530) 541-4660 x 211
- Email to make an appointment to see a counselor: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Or make an appointment for online counseling