Style Guides & Library Tutorials
Learning Citation Basics
The Excelsior Online Writing Lab is a great resource for learning the fundamentals of different citations styles. Automatic citation generators can be a great shortcut, but they often create citations with blatant errors. It is important to always check your citations with a resource like the Excelsior OWL before submitting your work. The following style guides include the requirements of each style as well as examples for citing different types of resources:
*The Purdue Online Writing Lab is a similar citation guide but their page has numerous pop-up ads. This is why we recommend Excelsior OWL instead.
Tutors and librarians can help you in all aspects of the writing process, from brainstorming, creating an outline, finding scholarly articles or books, to final revisions and formatting your bibliography. Appointments are available but not required.
- Writing tutors are available in the library and on Cranium Cafe. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org with your draft paper and assignment prompt for feedback. Allow up to 24 hours (Mon-Fri) for a response.
- Research help is available in person and on Cranium Cafe.
- The California Community College system provides access to NetTutor, a service of online tutoring in a variety of subject areas. Some NetTutor subjects
such as Math and Writing are available 24/7. Log into Canvas and click NetTutor from the lefthand menu of any your classes.
LTCC Library Tutorial Videos
Check out our library YouTube and Instagram for research tips, database walkthroughs, and more.
- The College Research Process
- Finding Articles in Academic Search Complete
- CQ Researcher Database Walkthrough
- ArtStor Walkthrough Part 1
- ArtStor Walkthrough Part 2